Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Things which you should think before going abroad...



Now you just read the positive and beautiful sides of Canada, it’s a request that please don't get too motivated to come here and also don’t get too disappointed as well based upon what i am going to tell you now. I am going to tell you some dark sides or the things which you may have to face.

As I told earlier in my last post that December 17, 2008 I landed in Canada with my Parents. My brother (Sumit) and his wife (Sonia) were already waiting for us. We all were very happy to see each other after 2 years. I already had an image of Canada in mind as of a Shinning sun, fun and frolic all the time, no boring or dull life, for sure hard work too but who is afraid of that??!! Well, Clearly I had no clue of the Real Canada I was about to see!!! As soon as we came out of the airport, I experienced the first ever snowfall of my life. It was -8 degree temperature that day and honestly saying I didn't feel like that I have landed in Canada except seeing the white people of course. It was a very dull atmosphere outside, perhaps because it was night time and as brother said "winters are not that fun". Well it was true Winters were not at all fun as I experienced 2 heavy snowfall the very next 2 days which means 15-25 cm of snow each day (which we are suppose to shovel by the way). Someone has said it right that “Canada is a country for Polar bears; People are just trying to survive here”. Anyways, thanks to Canadian system that they have heating systems everywhere like Houses, Malls, Shops, Cars etc...

Now the real issues apart from the Freezing winters are as following:

FIRST and Main issue which you will face is FINDING A JOB.....

Friends, If you have planned to come here or to go anywhere outside your country then be prepared that you may not find a job for at least 3 months. It is easy to say that "Oh yes, I am prepared for that, I will take enough money along with me to support for 3 to 4 months", But believe me there's a hell lot of difference between saying something and then experiencing that. Most of the people get disappointed and go back to their country as they convert dollars spent, into rupees, which is quite obvious as we are spending money earned in rupees as dollars. So, when I say be prepared then I mean BE PREPARED MENTALLY. Another thing, be ready to work anywhere and to do anything from picking garbage to washing Toilets. Yes, it’s not a joke, leave your attitude of "I can't do that" in India or whichever country you are coming from and then come here. You will be very lucky if you get a good job very early as soon as you land (doesn't matter as Immigrant or a Student) which is a rare scenario now a days. Now, sometimes you find a job in Factories but if you start working there you will 101% think that "Man I was better in India, why the hell I came here", Yes, Jobs in Factories are that difficult and tiring. Luckily, I didn't have to experience that as of now but I am telling you the experience of my brother and one of my friends. So my suggestion to you is if you are well settled there then believe me your country is the best for you and if you are not or just passed out and want to continue your education then do try your luck (considering all the scenarios). Even when I have got all the comfort of world I still think sometimes that I was way better in India as I was earning good, had a white collar job and no tension of being settled whereas here I have lots to think when my studies will be complete and have to start from the scratch.

INFORMATION: As a student you are not allowed to work for first six months in Canada (as of now) but after that you get a off-campus work permit. During first six months you can work on Cash (like in Pizza hut, dominoes, factories etc) but that's illegal.

Now, as I have mentioned this point of job I would also like to tell you that if you have a Job and earning like $2000 to $3000 per month, then you can afford all the luxuries and can live life as a King. But again, you start thinking about having your own home; taking loan for that and then getting bound for 25 years at least, to pay mortgages (which is a big tension if you lose your job). These all are the scenarios which CAN happen and a person has to go through. But that’s a tension which I believe everyone should take;

Another Major issue over here is Health related, I mean Hospitals. Canada doesn’t have many doctors as per the requirement. Queues are endless; in fact Heart patients have to wait for 2 years sometime to get the real treatment. Please be noted that I am only talking about the major disease. You can get good advice though if you have appointment with doctor but for a good treatment or operation or any kind of emergency you might have to wait too long. So please get your all checkups done in your country and come here as healthy as a Bull :).

Well, that’s all I wanted to say.

Now as you have an idea what to think and do before coming here so plan accordingly
and then come here.

I would like to end this post by saying that “Everyone has his own luck so always try that”

Last but not the least “Hard work gets you the money whereas Smart work gets you what you need”

“Hope this post served the purpose for which it was written”.

Take Care...
All the Best for your Future
God Bless you
Regards,
Vishal Bhardwaj

8 comments:

  1. Bhai,

    this is the truth and is the same scenario everywhere but just to let all the guys that r going to read this blog and that is what all vishal said is true...

    bt then again it is not the same scenario for all and everywhere in the world....

    all i can give is my example if it helps i belong to a middle class family as well...

    i came to study in australia... but the day i landed i learnt all this tht vishal mentioned it is the same....

    but the one thing tht one needs to remeber when they are going outside is to keep themselves open to any work as here nothing is considered a low grade job or anything....
    this is not india and u have to leave ur mentality there as well...

    as my first job that i took p was of a cleaning guy... then made contact out of that job got more oppurtunities to grow tht is how things work here....

    keep urself open to all or any type of job....

    just wanted to share my thought hope it has not been to long there are many more things to say but as this is not my blog i dont want to get beaten up by the owner as he is the best friend i have......

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog vishal... keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. u made a jump in bloggin before i made....as is the case always...we think ogether...and then u end up doing it first...thats why m still here in india

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shashant thanks a lot for sharing your views..really i appreciate it..and i can never beat an elephant buddy :).

    Nikita thanks for your nice words..i will try for what you said..

    Mr. Incognito its nothing like that...its all about the right time...when your time will come you will be writing blog sitting in US or germany for sure...All the best buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey vishal that was an awesome and excellent blog. As a new immigrant in Canada, I accede on vishal's view completely. But it may not be scary as it looks. I stay diplomatic on my views and watch for what others have to comment.

    Somethings in life are learned the hard ways perhaps i should wait and see if i did the right thing by coming to Canada.

    ==visa

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Visa...i am not trying to scare anyone buddy..infact i have tried to put the picture which few people have to face as soon as they land....rest after few years everyone gets settled and future is always secure...

    But i appreciate your comment pal..thanks for your valuable time

    ReplyDelete
  7. if u r a hard worker, determined, focused and believe in all d things that vishal said or you have loads and loads of money den only go abroad. Otherwise there is no other place good then your own motherland, your country, INDIA...

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanx... i can reconsider my plans now
    keep up d good work :))

    ReplyDelete